Re: Quick math calc on any buffer

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Quick math calc on any buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:08:23 -0600

Rodrigo Lazo wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way to compute a math expression on any buffer? I mean, if I
have a buffer with the following expression

2 + 3
I want to mark the region and compute the result

2 + 3 = 5

It doesn't seems too hard to do, I've looked on calculator.el for a
"computing" function I can call but I didn't find it.
Regards

Bind the calculator-save-and-quit function to a key-chord. I use C-<enter>. Then the same combo will copy result to kill-ring and exit (that is, kill calc buffer). C-y will paste result into buffer from which the calculator was invoked. If you don't like this solution, you can open a line in a buffer in any mode and then evaluate the lisp expression on that line

(+ 2 3) C-x C-e

shows 5 in the mini-buffer.

Ed