Re: News server access from Gnus [was: Re: [OT] Reading Emacs Tutorials]

From: prad
Subject: Re: News server access from Gnus [was: Re: [OT] Reading Emacs Tutorials]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:47:59 -0700

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:30:27 +0200
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> If your ISP is not actively blocking NNTP access to other sources, you
> can always register to sunsite.dk

we do have news i found out from our isp, but it doesn't offer much so
i've setup on sunsite.dk - in fact, i'm replying through the newsgroup
instead of the maillist. i'll give emacs gnus a try later this week.

btw, motzeralla looks good too though i couldn't find this emacs
newsgroup on it.

the reason i posted this here instead of sending it privately is that
i'm trying to figure out what the advantages are of accessing things
through usenet vs email and would appreciate input on this from anyone.

the main ones i can see is that usenet works rather like an imap system
so that you aren't actually downloading everything and that it is
easier to search in posts which you may not have on your machine
anymore.

any thoughts on this for this list specifically perhaps?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's