Re: News server access from Gnus

From: prad
Subject: Re: News server access from Gnus
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:53:00 -0700

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:10:12 -0400
Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Prad, I have (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org")) in my
> .emacs (I don't use a .gnus.el anymore, just one more file to back
> up). And the combination of Gnus and Gmane ... I don't know, is a
> powerful one to my way of thinking.

ok i'm trying this.

> At any point, I can subscribe to most any list that I have ever wanted
> to and had at my fingertips,

however, i'm only seeing these groups:
       *: alt.test
       *: alt.config
       *: news.announce.newusers
       *: news.groups.questions
       *: gnu.emacs.gnus
       6: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help

in the last item there is a thread:
Where are all the groups, then?

following the instructions there i tried to revive the zombie groups
but only got:
 Z     1: gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.region.de.dortmund (m)
 Z     1: gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.region.de.duesseldorf (m)
 Z    11: gmane.comp.video.tuxbox.scm (m)
 Z     6: gmane.linux.drivers.otus.devel (m)
 Z     4: gmane.org.user-groups.breds.talks (m)

now i'm looking through the gnus info to figure out what's going on.

> the contents of the archive to do C-s and
> C-r on to my hearts content.

this will search the article contents while you are in the headers
buffer? i could only search the titles.

> And really learn something let alone
> find answers to questions that have been asked a lot of times.

this sounds great from what you and michael have written - once i can
get some newsgroups that is :D

> It's not necessary to do things like this.  There are many more
> reasons to hook up Gnus to a newsserver.

i'm using claws-mail as a newsreader right now and it's pretty good. i
have a feeling gnus is going to be much better once i learn to use it.
i found the search on claws-mail rather slow in comparison to going to
the mail list archives with a browser and searching there.

thank you sean and michael for explaining the benefits. i'll keep at it.

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's