Re: Sunrise Commander: Version 3 released.

From: escherdragon
Subject: Re: Sunrise Commander: Version 3 released.
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 02:42:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 18, 9:57 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
> This makes the command `op file' behave like double click in eshell
>
> So then I need to redefine dired-find-file thus:
>
> (defun dired-find-file ()
>   (interactive)
>   (eshell/op (dired-get-file-for-visit))
>  )
>
> So some questions:
> How do you put such a redefinition on a hook? (Needs to be defuned
> after dired is require-d)
> It needs to be more sophisticated: eg this way hitting return on a
> directory opens windows explorer but it should probably open another
> dired.  More generally all the emacs-ish should stay in emacs with the
> w32-shell-execute only used as a catch-all for files that emacs cant/
> shouldnt handle.

Oh, once again I forgot point 0.5 :)

0.5) Get and install Markus Triska's openwith -- it will allow to open
your files using external programs based on file extension. It can be
found in the Emacs Wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OpenWith

Isn't this solution good enough? I find it fantastic, but to be honest
I haven't tried it on Windows.

Another possibility for you rodent lovers ;-) would be to give dired-
dd (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pi9s-nnb/dired-dd-home.html) a try.
Unfortunately it won't work right out of the box with sunrise, but
after applying the following patch to dired-dd it does (I'm currently
trying to get in contact with the author to have it included in the
standard distribution of dired-dd):

*************************** CUT HERE ***************************

1569c1569
<   (if (not (eq major-mode 'dired-mode))
---
>   (if (not (derived-mode-p 'dired-mode))
1793c1793
<     (if (eq 'dired-mode major-mode)
---
>     (if (derived-mode-p 'dired-mode)
1836c1836
<       (if (setq target-diredp (eq 'dired-mode major-mode))
---
>       (if (setq target-diredp (derived-mode-p 'dired-mode))

*************************** CUT HERE ***************************

I could write a sunrise extension to make sunrise appear as clean
dired to dired-dd (in fact I already have) but I think this direct
modification of dired-dd is a more elegant solution. For a better
effect add this to your .emacs file after requiring dired-dd:

  (setq dired-dd-find-file-method 'sr-advertised-find-file)

Dired DD has all bells and whistles one can possibly imagine for the
mouse (even assigning sounds to operations!)

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon@gmail.com