Re: elisp's cl package. Don't understand the notice about eval-when-com

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: elisp's cl package. Don't understand the notice about eval-when-compile
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:32:32 +0100

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:58, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> So many packages come up with their own ugly versions of functions that
> are already in cl.el. I think this policy is utterly insane these days.

I wouldn't call it "utterly insane", but I certainly am on the
"please, just preload cl as XEmacs has been doing for years" group.

That is not going to happen, though. Apparently, the only way to go
forward with such functions is either:

 - turn them into cl macros, or
 - move them (or, as in push, pop, etc, dumbed-down versions of them)
out of cl, if they are deemed useful enough

Unfortunately, many of the sequence-handling operations that would be
really useful to have (reduce, find, count, member, etc. and their
variants) depend on keywords, so neither of the above fixes is going
to fly; at least, easily.

    Juanma