Re: elisp's cl package. Don't understand the notice about eval-when-comp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: elisp's cl package. Don't understand the notice about eval-when-compile
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:37:07 +0100

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> I just want to note here that wild non-fact and philosophical elements
> are starting to flying in.
>
> Richard Stallman, his use of “free” in his concept of Free Software
> and Free Software Foundation, is a abuse of English. I do not know he
> did this with the intent to ride the ambiguity for the marketing
> benefit of the catcher word “free”, or innocently due to the fuzziness
> of English. In any case, from the numerous talks and lectures he gave,
> it is apparent he is abusing the concept of freedom to gain
> supporters.

Supporters for his cause of making available free software.  Which is
pretty much what he claims.  He did it his way, starting at a time where
software distribution meant magnetic tapes.  And, give and take
drawbacks, his way worked and made an impact.

On a scale few other people can boast.  And inspiring further people
wildly opposed to him to work on different brands of free software.

His success is not restricted to those who support him.  I don't see him
being side-tracked either, so I don't see why he would be "abusing the
concept of freedom".

--
David Kastrup