Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

On Jun 4, 9:45 am, Giorgos Keramidas <keram...@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 00:22:39 -0700 (PDT), Francis Moreau
> <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?
>
> > In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.
>
> > Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?
>
> > Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
> > this release if it's not in the dev repo ?
>
> Hi Francis,
>
> I cloned the Git repository a while back.  The last commit in the
> origin/master branch is:
>
>   commit c2f9b5857cc50663229ad3ec28608fe615ac9e34
>   Author: Chong Yidong <c...@stupidchicken.com>
>   Date:   Sat May 30 00:31:59 2009 +0000
>
>       * coding.c (get_translation_table): Check Venable_character_translation.

I just pulled and it updated the repo to the commit you showed
above. !

I just did clone 2 days ago and I did only receive commits up to the
one I mentioned in my initial post. So apparently this mirror repo is
kept uptodate but not every days.

> This is sufficiently recent,

Yes indeed but I was just wondering why with a just cloned repo I did
have a emacs version older than the one used by some people.

> and I have pulled changesets from this in
> my personal Mercurial clone.  The snapshot of Emacs that I built this
> morning is:
>
>   GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of
> 2009-06-04 on kobe
>
> So, to the best of my knowledge, a short answer is: ``Yes, you can use
> the git repository to build recent Emacs snapshots.''

Do you use a specific tag when building a snapshot or do you use a
random commit ?

Thanks