Re: Source code navigation in emacs

From: Dirk-Jan C . Binnema
Subject: Re: Source code navigation in emacs
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 22:35:05 +0300

Hi Anselm,

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/01/navigating-through-source-code-using.html

    >>    >> The most generic way is to just use a tags table, see the manual:
    >>
    >>    >> etags supports more languages than gnu global, and there is an
    >>    >> etags program coming with exuberant-ctags that supports even
    >>    >> more. There are alternative, more capable solutions for specific
    >>    >> programming languages. What are you working with?
    >>
    >> Anselm, is there any reason to prefer etags over GNU-Global for C/C++? I
am
    >> quite happy with GNU-Global (I actually wrote the above blogpost) -- in
what
    >> way would etags be better?
    >>

    > And can you please help me understand why GNU-Global is better than
    > xcope.el + cscope for emacs?

I don't know if it's better or not -- I just happened to start with GNU-Global
and it worked nice for me. Some of the things that I liked and may (or may not)
be
available in some of the other tools:

 - create a tagfile for a whole subtree (recursively)
 - incremental updates
 - can be used outside emacs

However, GNU-Global only supports C, C++, Yacc, Java en PHP.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl