Re: recoding a buffer coding system

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: recoding a buffer coding system
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:36:32 +0300

> From: Santiago Mejia <mejia@uchicago.edu>
> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:31:46 -0500
>

> I have managed to successfully reformat the raw html tags into
> enriched-mode tags.  However, when I try to display the buffer in
> enriched-mode (by using (format-decode-buffer 'text/enriched)), some of
> the non-ASCII characters get screwed up (German umlauts, to be precise).

Get screwed how, exactly?

> I have managed to solve the issue through a nasty trick: saving the
> file, killing the buffer, and reopening the file.  But this is a trick
> that I would like to avoid.

You didn't say how reopening the file helps you avoid the problem.
Knowing that might suggest a way for how to avoid the trick.

Also, can you post a minimal file and some minimal code to reproduce
the problem?  There could be a bug somewhere.

Finally, what version of Emacs is that?