Re: moving around multiple buffers

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: moving around multiple buffers
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:07:31 +0200

Hi,

Xah Lee <xa...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 20, 9:08 am, "Farhan Ahmed" <far...@alienfluid.com> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I've mapped shift+TAB to 'next buffer and C+shift+TAB to 'previous
>> buffer and now I only use one window to edit code. Takes a little getting
>> used to, but it works.
>
> using Tab is probably worst, because every mode vie for that key.

[...]

I've been using Ctrl-TAB for (lambda () (interactive (other-window 1)))
for years and I rarely clash with modes.  Similar I've been using
Shift-TAB for comint-dynamic-complete for years without many clashes.
Maybe the occasional incompatibility here and there (mainly org) but I'm
happy with that.

Whenever I need to work with one of those
shift-movement-selects-software wannabes I feel slightly disgusted.

> not recommended to pile on such a key.

As for recommendations... Just for the record: I rebind C-v and C-b to
mean someting like C-x and C-c respectively (global and mode-local
bindings) but for my personal use.  For years.  No problems with almost
all the modes (and I use lots of different major modes).

> Also, i noticed, tab key is not actually a good key.

Now, what may a "good key" be?  Easily reachable? Big?

> Need to take care of your pinkies.

No problems here after some 15 years of Emacs/XEmacs usage.

So, Ahmed, just stick with your bindings and be happy with it.  :-)

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)