Re: Tramp always wants password when using cscope

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp always wants password when using cscope
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:26:37 +0200

Neil Baylis <neil.baylis@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael,

Hi Neil,

> I think the problem is with xcscope. Every time I ask it to look
> something up in the tags database, xcscope opens a new shell session.
> This takes some seconds to set up before it can even begin to access
> the database. If xcscope would re-use the connection, it would not
> incur this delay.

Yes. It would require to rewrite xcsope that it opens just a shell on
the remote host (as asynchronous process), and then sends the commends
to the corresponding process, and reads the results from the associated
buffer.

> Here's an example, where I asked xcscope to find the global definition
> of a symbol. You can see that the entire process took about 15
> seconds. About half the time was spent before the "exec cscope"
> command was sent. The rest was actually looking up the symbol and
> returning the results.

What I don't see in the traces is where Tramp requires to enter the
password, again. Do I miss something?

> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Best regards, Michael.