Re: A bit confused about C-h m results

From: John A Pershing Jr
Subject: Re: A bit confused about C-h m results
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:57:44 -0400

David Penton <djp@arqux.com> writes:

> Thanks much for a very good answer. You hit upon the source of my
> confusion exactly.
>
> The commands you mention (down-list, beginning-of-defun) are lisp-y
> sounding, so I assumed they only pertained to lisp-mode. Moreover,
> some of the functions appear to be defined in lisp.el, although they
> are apparently useful in broader contexts. But being defined in
> lisp.el added to my confusion.

And you will find even more "programmy" key bindings that "do the right
thing" in Lisp mode (and a different "right thing" in Java mode, or C++
mode, or whataver).  E.g., starting a comment with M-; (which is bound
to 'comment-dwim'), or TAB at the beginning of a line, or using C-j
instead of RET at the end of a line.

It probably would be useful for Help to document these sorts of things,
which may not be obvious to the beginner, who has been typing text in
the past where TAB is simply a tab and there aren't any comments.  At
least C-h M tells you how Delete works for that mode, what the comment
delimiter is, and what denotes a "paragraph".

  -jp