Re: coding systems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: coding systems
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:20:51 +0200

> From: Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu>
> Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:11:28 -0800
>
> More recently, I've started seeing a worse problem: there's a package
> I've been working on to use desktop.el for things like intelligent crash
> recovery ("desktop-recover.el", at a github near you).  When there are
> some international characters stashed in a register that "desktop-save"
> wants to preserve, then I'm asked for a coding system not just once, but
> every single time the auto-save-hook fires, because I use it to do
> automatic "desktop-save"s.

If the issue is with saving contents of internal Emacs data
structures, then utf-8-emacs (and its alias emacs-internal) is
definitely the way to go.  Note: utf-8-emacs is NOT the same as utf-8,
the latter will not be able to encode every character Emacs can hold
in its buffers or strings, although it comes pretty close.