Re: Using Emacs on small-display devices

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: Using Emacs on small-display devices
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:10:40 -0000

On 2010-05-30, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> I think the important things are the following abilities:
>>  a) separate the message area and minibuffer;

> I don't think you can do that nowadays, although you get partway there
> by defadvicing `message' and then using something like tooltips for the
> echo area.

Interesting...  Is the C code sanitized enough so that messaging from
it would be adviced too?

>>  c) put a "pseudo-menubar" icon on modeline: clicking on it pops up a
>>     popup-equivalent of menubar (i.e., vertical vs horizontal layout);
>
> That can be done fairly easily and cleanly (the mode-line already has
> some menus when you click for example on the major mode name).
> The "full menu bar, with different layout" is already available on
> C-mouse-3 by default, so you'd just have to bind it to a mode-line button.

Good, I somehow forgot about this popup!

>>  d) ability to make a minibuffer overlaid "on top of" modeline, so it
>>     does not take place when not needed.
>
> This one seems difficult to do.

Thinking about it more: minibuffer is ALREADY of variable height.  The
default is 1.  What I propose is essentially making the default height 0...

>>  e) ability to make emacs full-screen (no border, no taskbar visible);

> I think we already support that cleanly, tho it depends on cooperation
> from the WM, of course.

Is it bound to a keypress?  F11?  ;-)

Thanks,
Ilya