Re: Alternatives to Gnus

From: Markus Gessner
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Gnus
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:30:40 -0000

Hello Tim,

hope, it is not too late to enter the thread.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:31:41 +1000, Tim X. wrote:

> I'm not convinced that there are any huge advantages in having the
> same program to both read/send/manage email and read/send/manage
> news. I use gnus for newsgroups and think its really good at that. I
> tried it for mail, but to be honest, found it less so. I therefore use
> VM and Mew for reading mail.

I find these news quite exciting. Up to several years ago, I used VM for
my email for a long time, about 7 years. First with ordinary mail spool
files and then with an IMAP-server, but just downloading the mail to a
local directory.

At some point it seemed, that Gnus was better at handling encoding
problems, especially in the mail headers, so I started using it for
email. Gnus is a great application, but I too have the impression, that
its paradigms are better suited for news than for mail.

Nevertheless, after starting to work in a different place, I now depend
on real IMAP support, and somehow I got stuck with Thunderbird (having
to work under MS-Windows a lot).

If VM were on the way to support remote IMAP folders, it would be a
great thing. I always found VM a pleasure to use -- everything quite to
the point and very efficient.

Greetings
Markus