Re: condition-case

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: condition-case
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:43:46 -0500

PJB> There's no condition-bind to wrap over.
PJB> I'm not sure it would be possible to implement handler-bind without
PJB> patching the virtual machine.
> Stefan, WDYT?  Is `condition-bind' possible in today's GNU Emacs?  I
> mean does the VM have any constraints that would block it?

There used to be some allowance made in the C code for such a feature,
but since it was never used it bit-rotted and has "recently" been more
actively removed.  So adding a condition-bind or something like that
would require a fair bit of work, I think.  There is still some support
for part of it since errors can jump into the debugger, but currently
the debugger cannot return to the source of the error, it can only jump
back up the stack like condition-case does.

        Stefan