Re: ps-print question

From: David Penton
Subject: Re: ps-print question
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:07:04 -0500

Ok, I took Pete Dyballa's advice and set up both ghostscript and aquamacs to
add some fonts for ps-print in aquamacs. It is not working correctly yet,
although I have made considerable progress.

I did the following as a result of my research:

I added the Bitstream Vera fonts to my system fonts, and also to the
ghostscript Fontmap.GS. This made the fonts available in ghostscript. I was
able to run gs interactively, do a findfont on all of the added fonts, and
output some text using those fonts. So the additions to Fontmap.GS worked. Here
are the relevant lines in Fontmap.GS:

(BitstreamVeraSans-Bold)                   (/Library/Fonts/VeraBd.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSans-BoldOblique)    (/Library/Fonts/VeraBI.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSans-Oblique)                (/Library/Fonts/VeraIt.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSans-Roman)               (/Library/Fonts/Vera.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSansMono-Bold)          (/Library/Fonts/VeraMoBd.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSansMono-BoldOb)     (/Library/Fonts/VeraMoBI.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSansMono-Oblique)     (/Library/Fonts/VeraMoIt.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSansMono-Roman)     (/Library/Fonts/VeraMono.ttf) ;
(BitstreamVeraSerif-Bold)                     (/Library/Fonts/VeraSeBd.ttf) ;

I then I added the following to my aquamacs preference file  (equivalent to
.emacs) to make the fonts known to ps-print-buffer:

(setq ps-font-info-database
            (append
             '((BitstreamVera             ; the family key
                (fonts (normal      . "BitstreamVeraSansMono-Roman")
                       (bold               . "BitstreamVeraSansMono-Bold")
                       (italic               . "BitstreamVeraSansMono-Oblique")
                       (bold-italic      . "BitstreamVeraSansMono-BoldOb"))
                (size . 10.0)
                (line-height . 23.84)
                (space-width . 6.31739)
                (avg-char-width . 6.31739)))
             ps-font-info-database))

In aquamacs I then set the Ps Font Family customization to "BitstreamVera" to
match the above addition to ps-font-info-database.

Then, when I did C-u M-x ps-print-buffer, aquamacs created a postscript file
with no complaints.  I looked at this file, and it did have a bunch of stuff
that loads the Bitstream Vera fonts, apparently as desired.

However, the postscript file generates some font-related errors when passed to
ghostscript.

I shall not post the offending postscript file, not the ghostscript errors just
yet. It seems more likely to me that there are additional emacs customizations
that I may have to set to get this to work correctly. If I should post these or
other info please let me know.

TIA,

- Dave -