Re: finding files not visited

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: finding files not visited
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:45:06 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/14/2011 04:27 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Try ido-mode for files. But a word of caution, if any of the
>> directories have too many (~100s) files or sub-directories and are
>> remote (as in you are remote editing with tramp) emacs might become
>> extremely slow trying to find completions.
>
> I already use ido-mode, but it doesn't recurse in the subdirectories (at least
> not by default).
>
> I don't see any variable to customize for that, am I blind?
>
> I like the dired solution, and for example I can set up some
> dir-local-variable
> setting the right switches, for example it's a good idea to filter hidden
> directories (like .git or .bzr).
>
> I'll give finally a try also to anything

I got this off planetemacsen I think it was. It triggers the "find"
manually.

;; disable auto searching for files unless called explicitly
   (setq ido-auto-merge-delay-time 99999)
   (define-key ido-file-dir-completion-map (kbd "C-c C-s")
      (lambda()
        (interactive)
        (ido-initiate-auto-merge (current-buffer))))

regards

r.