Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:40:57 +0200

Hi Mark,

Sorry in my response I forgot to distinguish between the Delete key and
the backspace key. You are correct in saying both will have this
behaviour.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM, MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> wrote:
> I hardly ever use the Delete function key.  But I use Backspace to delete 1
> character backward all the time.  I'd guess several times a minute.  This
> change would mess up my typing bigtime!  I'd guess that it would be a year
> or two before I stopped accidentally typing Backspace and expecting it to
> delete 1 character backward.

That said, I believe what you say above is incomplete. This is what I
observe in the Emacs 24 head at the moment: if there is some text as
follows,

some !_text!

where the text surrounded by exclamation marks indicate the active
region and the underscore indicates the cursor position then pressing
DEL or <deletechar> (backspace or Delete) will result in the following,

some _

If on the other hand there is no active region as below,

some tex_t

pressing DEL will result in,

some te_t

and pressing <deletechar> will result in,

some tex

I like that this feature gives me convenient keybindings irrespective of
whether I choose to delete (delete-region) the text (or active region)
or kill (kill-region) the text, the difference being greater control
over what goes into the kill ring. I hope I have explained myself
clearly this time around.

> Mark

:)

--