Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 09:17:17 -0700

Drew> interactions between Emacs selection/region and standard paste
Drew> buffers/clipboards/selections were changed, with no poll - and it
Drew> is not obvious to a user how to customize Emacs to get back the
Drew> old behavior.]

This is one of my few longtime gripes with Emacs, so I would be _very_
interested in the details of the change.  Are they written up anywhere?
If not, could you summarize them here?

Drew> Transient mark mode is already turned on now in Emacs, by default.
Drew> The proposed change does not implement or replace delete-selection
Drew> mode.  What it does is make DEL delete the active region.  The
Drew> second proposed change lets characters you type replace the active
Drew> region.

Let us settle this once and for ever:  would the proposal currently
under consideration change _anything_ for users who set
transient-mark-mode to nil ?

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD