RE: Starting buffer configuration

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Starting buffer configuration
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:10:51 -0800

> Thanks. Strangely, when I tried with the new mu file in place I got a
> blank screen forever and no interaction, as if it were in an infinite
> loop. The last message was "loaded /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el".

Sorry for your trouble.  I'm not familiar with that Lisp file (50psvn.el).  I
suggest we take the problem off list to debug it.

> Quitting and repeating made no difference. Then as soon as I placed
> (setq debug-on-quit t) in my .emacs, it started working.

Try starting from `emacs -q --no-site-file' (no init file and no site startup
file).  Then evaluate the two sexps (requiring the library and invoking
bookmark-bmenu-list) by putting the cursor after each and hitting `C-x C-e'.

If you still see a problem that way then let's investigate off list.

If it works that way, try with just `emacs -q' (site file but no init file).  If
that works too, then bisect your init file repeatedly until you find what causes
the problem.

Another thing you can try with `emacs -q --no-site-file' is `M-x
bookmark-bmenu-list'.  IOW, invoke it interactively instead of in your init
file.  That should change nothing, but trying it will tell.  And you can try
that without loading Bookmark+ (i.e., just vanilla Emacs), to see if that makes
a difference.