Re: Mouse support does not work

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: Re: Mouse support does not work
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:32:36 -0700

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> > I think it works always, but it is true that some commands
>> > etc. might bind it to 0 so it has no effect in some context.
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something then.  M-x echo-keystrokes doesn't work.
>> How would one run this (without incorporating it into some lisp code)?
>
> It is a user option, IOW a variable that you can customize.  It is not a
> function, let alone a command (so you cannot invoke it using `M-x').
>
> Use `C-h v echo-keystrokes' to see its doc.
>
> However, the doc string is incomplete - see this bug report:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10503.  For more complete info,
> see
> the Emacs or Elisp manual: use `i echo-keystrokes' in the manual.
>
> The way to make `echo-keystrokes' take effect or not is to use `M-x
> customize-option' or `M-x set-variable'.

Ah, I see what this is now.  Would that even echo mouse events?

>> > It does for me:
>> >
>> > ... SPC <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-c C-c y e s <return>
>> > <help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1>
>> > <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-3>
>> > <mouse-3> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1>
>> > <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-3> <mouse-3> C-h l
>> >
>> > And it works whether I use a graphic display or `emacs -nw'.
>> >

>> Actually, I think maybe it does for me too. But it shows it in the
>> form of garbage that I don't know how to read:
>>
>> ESC [ > 0 ; 9 5 ; c ESC x e c TAB DEL DEL ESC [ M a
>> ] E ESC [ M a ] E ESC [ M a ] E ESC [ M a ] E ESC [
>> M a ] E ESC [ M ` ] E ESC [ M ` ] E ESC [ M ` ] E ESC
>> [ M ` ] E C-h C-g C-h C-h l ESC [ M a ] E ESC [ M a
>> ] E ESC [ M a ] E ESC [ M ` ] E ESC [ M ` ] E ESC [
>> M ` ] E ESC [ M ` ] E ESC [ M SPC \300\262 , ESC [
>> M # \300\262 , ESC [ M SPC \300\243 ) ESC [ M # \300\243
>> ) ESC [ M SPC \300\241 ' ESC [ M # \300\241 ' C-h l
>> ESC [ M a \300\236 & C-h l
>
> Those look like keyboard keys to me, not mouse events.  If you use the mouse
> (e.g. click `mouse-1' somewhere, then click `mouse-3' somewhere, to select
> some
> text) you should see mouse events such as I show above.

No, this is definitely how it is reporting mouse events. I typed "Some
Text" and clicked on the S, and this is what it showed for it:

S o m e SPC T e x t ESC [ M SPC $ ( ESC [ M # $ ( C-h l

It makes sense that it would do that, because just saying
<down-mouse-1> does not tell you where in the text you clicked.

Also, if I type  ESC [ M SPC $ ( ESC [ M # $ ( with the cursor on the
t, it does indeed go back to the S.  It even echos "down-mouse-1" at
the bottom. As for scrolling, it seems that the command is different
depending on where my mouse is (I think), which makes sense because I
set the "Mouse Wheel Follow Mouse" setting from customize to on (I
couldn't figure out what the emacs variable name for that is called).

Aaron Meurer