Re: problem repeat entry for a number

From: source liu
Subject: Re: problem repeat entry for a number
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:34:34 -0400

> So, back to the real problem: Is there anything you would
> suggest to the Emacs hackers for the purpose of improving the
> text so that it expresses well (unambiguously and in good style)
> the _correct_ description (the first way) of the behavior?

A mistake can rise up in any different aspects, while a correct one
have few choice. :)

In my point of view, maybe shorter sentences, more itemized threads
for those none English native speakers like me, will lead to fewer
misunderstanding.  yet it may not keep the manual threads simple and
brief any more. Honestly speaking, after your explanation, i realize
it was my fault failed to read the sentence correctly this time.

I think I understand the expression, but I still have a question on,
is there any case of "C-u" following a minus sign?
C-u <num> , here num is either negative or positive,  there is no
minus sign at the end of the <num> argument.

1. here one cant type C - u <num> '-' to get the minus sign as the end
( in this case '-' would be char layout in the buffer).

2. C-u '-' ( the only available case i can figure out,  but i think it
is meaningless) ,  also, type C-u again just start another instant of
num argument input, still different from the case that terminate the
argument input.  (though in minibuff C-u - C-u, but i can't see any
difference between single C - u here)

so, i wonder  why 'the minus sign'  appears in the very sentence.

as a result,

"C-u  following the digits  ends the argument." is enough,

unless someone can show me the necessary of "minus sign" here

I wont be afraid to make another mistake next time if there are any
chances.,  :)

btw, are you one of those so called "emacs hacks"?  cool!!

Thanks again for you patience.

--
Liu An
Institution of modern physics, Shanghai, China