Re: problem repeat entry for a number

From: source liu
Subject: Re: problem repeat entry for a number
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 17:25:36 +0800

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> () source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
> () Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:17:39 +0800
>
>   > I see it as an opportunity to improve the manual.
>   > What terms did you use to search for this info?
>
>   here term you mean something like rxvt xterm?
>   I'm sorry I'm not quite understand.
>
> Sorry, i'll rephrase ...
>
>   as for manuals, i have a problem in looking it up for a quite a
>   long time.
>
>   A lot of information I know it should be in C - h, but when i
>   come across to a issue, i just can't find which is related to
>   the specific issue.  :(
>
> ... here:
>
> The Emacs hackers would like to improve the manual so that the
> answer to questions such as "how to insert 999999999 using a
> prefix argument" can be more easily found, perhaps by adding terms
> to the manual's index, or by adding/clarifying specific pieces of
> text.  To figure out what to do, it's best to know what happened,
> previously.  That's why i asked that question, with "term" being
> another way to say "index topic".  I presumed (maybe mistakenly?)
> that you used the index.
>
> So, more generally: "What was your strategy to search for the
> answer to this question?"

got it, thanks for your patience.

first i tried C - h k C-u,  and get help message.

of course it gave out some information, but i'm a little dazzled by
the description.

***  part of  C -h k C-u  *****
Repeating C-u without digits or minus sign
 multiplies the argument by 4 each time.
For some commands, just C-u by itself serves as a flag
***  end of  C -h k C-u  *****

I may treat the flag "C-u" as a *terminating flag* now since i know
C-u can be used this way. but at that time i thought nothing of it
( even not think of type C -u again) and of course, i've no idea about
C -q for quote
input numbers until i got answer from the mailist.

i also tried to use C-h k M - <num> and C-h k C-<num>, but failed to
get answer.

then,
i tried to find answers through internet, and find little related information.

finally,

I join the list and made a post, and got the satisfied answers

if there is better way (or how should i do the search), plz tell me,
it would help a lot.

Regards.

--
Liu An
Institution of modern physics, Shanghai, China