Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:15:20 -0400

Chiron <chiron613.no.spam.@no.spam.please.gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 17:10:48 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> From: Chiron <chiron613.no.spam.@no.spam.please.gmail.com> Date: Sat,
>>> 21 Apr 2012 12:43:45 GMT
>>>
>>> In what way do the maintainers of emacs benefit from having more users?
>>
>> If you ever maintained a package that others used, you must know that
>> satisfying your users is a very powerful incentive.  Frankly, I'm
>> surprised to see this question asked at all.
>
> Well, I'm just going by the behavior of the current maintainers.  They
> aren't making the changes that people seem to want

You're making that up right?

Every one of the maintainers works on something someone wants.
With a little reflection on your part, you'll understand why
this is a truism.

Xah has a point, users and especially new users stumble on
the scratch buffer.  All Emacs asks is that it's users be smart
enough to read the little blurb there and ignore the buffer.

But so far, I don't see a lot of people coming up with good alternative
designs.  At least the mention of lisp in the blurb gives new users
an idea what language they need to use to modify things.

--
Dan Espen