Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Chiron
Subject: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:32:07 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:34:03 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Chiron <chiron613.no.spam.@no.spam.please.gmail.com> Date: Sat,
>> 21 Apr 2012 14:46:07 GMT

>> > If you ever maintained a package that others used, you must know that
>> > satisfying your users is a very powerful incentive.  Frankly, I'm
>> > surprised to see this question asked at all.
>>
>> Well, I'm just going by the behavior of the current maintainers.
>
> What behavior?  Facts, please.

The decision of the maintainers not to implement certain changes.  Kindly
refer to earlier posts in this thread for more information.

>> They aren't making the changes that people seem to want - at least not
>> the ones that might gather lots of users.
>
> Which changes?  Facts, please!

Refer to earlier posts in this thread.  The specific change wasn't the
issue.  The issue was whether someone who wants emacs to be different
should expect someone else, who hasn't expressed such a desire, to make
the changes.  And, by extension, whether the maintainers have the right
to *not* make changes, even if making those changes might attract lots of
new users.

>> Satisfying users may be a powerful incentive, but it certainly is not
>> the only one.  Apparently, it is not the one that motivates the current
>> maintainers.
>
> Without the facts to back this up, I would not consider this
> "conclusion" valid.

It's not a "conclusion."  It's an opinion.  My opinion is based on what I
see, which is a very limited subset of what occurs.  There is no
particular reason for you to accept this opinion.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  I think you have mistaken my
comments for those of someone else.  It may be helpful to review the
thread to see what I was originally responding to.

In case I have been unclear, I am not criticizing the current maintainers
of emacs.  I am supporting their right to make or not make changes in
emacs, as they see fit.

I feel that for some reason people are not understanding what I am
saying.  I'd like to blame it on the reader, but since it's more than
one, I have to wonder whether I'm simply not getting my points across.  I
don't know what more I can do about it, if the fault is with me.  And if
by some chance the fault isn't with me, there really isn't anything for
me to do.

--
To find a friend one must close one eye; to keep him -- two.
                -- Norman Douglas