RE: Copy/paste issue.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Copy/paste issue.
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 23:27:29 -0700

> Now, I'd never hear do delete-selection-mode, so I did a C-h f on it:
>
> Question: what are some of the uses of this mode?  Maybe name
> 2 or 3 uses, so I can understand if it's something I should get
> familiar with.

`delete-selection-mode' is quite similar to what you are (probably) used to
outside of Emacs: after you select text, what you type replaces the selection.
And Backspace deletes it.  (To cancel selection, hit `C-g'.)

,----
|    By default, text insertion occurs normally even if the mark is
| active--for example, typing `a' inserts the character `a', then
| deactivates the mark.  If you enable Delete Selection mode, a minor
| mode, then inserting text while the mark is active causes the text in
| the region to be deleted first.  To toggle Delete Selection mode on or
| off, type `M-x delete-selection-mode'.
`----

[IMHO, `delete-selection-mode' should be the default behavior for Emacs.  It
took a couple decades to get even `transient-mark-mode' accepted as the default.
(`transient-mark-mode' is a like a neutered `delete-selection-mode'.)  Perhaps
in a couple more decades `delete-selection-mode' will be accepted. ;-)]