Quick installation of Emacs modules?

From: kj
Subject: Quick installation of Emacs modules?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:25:11 +0000 (UTC)

Suppose that you get wind of an intriguing extension toocool.el,
and you'd like to take it for a spin right away, in your current
Emacs session.  Is there some handy extension (e.g.) that would
let you run something like

  (get-me-right-now "toocool")

to locate toocool.el (through channels suitably vetted to avoid
unsavory code), download/install it it, and finally load toocool?
(As a bonus, the details of this process would be cached in a way
that would facilitate reproducing the current repertoire of additions
in a different system, for example, or restoring the current one
if necessary.)

I have not found anything this powerful yet.  The best I've found
is Stefan Monnier's install.el, but it "only" installs a previously
downloaded *.el file (I write "only" because I'm sure that there
are plenty of corner-cases and subtleties that install.el must
handle correctly).

Is there a shorter distance between wish and reality here?

Thanks!