Re: Quick installation of Emacs modules?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Quick installation of Emacs modules?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:49:42 -0400

> Okay, as of now it looks like one cannot add any other repos; the
> doc says:
>     ;; This code supports a single package repository, ELPA.

Not sure what definition of "now" you're using, but the above sentence
is not in Emacs-24's code, instead we have:

(defcustom package-archives '(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";))
  "An alist of archives from which to fetch.
The default value points to the GNU Emacs package repository.

Each element has the form (ID . LOCATION).
 ID is an archive name, as a string.
 LOCATION specifies the base location for the archive.
  If it starts with \"http:\", it is treated as a HTTP URL;
  otherwise it should be an absolute directory name.
  (Other types of URL are currently not supported.)

Only add locations that you trust, since fetching and installing
a package can run arbitrary code."
  :type '(alist :key-type (string :tag "Archive name")
                :value-type (string :tag "URL or directory name"))
  :risky t
  :group 'package
  :version "24.1")

> The version of package.el available at Marmalade supports the use of
> multiple repositories.  Marmalade also has a lot more packages in it

I hope any improvement they might have made was contributed back to
Emacs, so we don't fork that code unnecessarily.

        Stefan