Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:43:36 +0530

On Mon, Jun 18 2012,S Boucher wrote:

> I've been using emacs since as far back as 18.59.  Still use it daily.
>
> However, I often wonder where Emacs is heading.  Most places I work,
> I'm in the minority - and that's an understatement - as an Emacs user.

and it still is, after a decade of using it in my office space.

[snipped 5 lines]

> As I just noticed that Emacs 24 is now stable it still amazes me that
> there's still a lot of development going on, considering my sense of
> isolation as an Emacs user, and the impression that Emacs users is a
> dying breed.

With the features it already has, I wouldn't even mind if development
stopped, it still beats other editors hands down.  If anything, I've
pretty much stopped checking out every new editor that comes out every
few years; they seem to implement something that is obvious or trivial
to summon up in Emacs(not that the actual development of said feature
was trivial in Emacs).

[snipped 4 lines]

 sivaram