Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 05:22:29 +0200

S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've been using emacs since as far back as 18.59.  Still use it daily.
>
> However, I often wonder where Emacs is heading.  Most places I work,
> I'm in the minority - and that's an understatement - as an Emacs user.
>
> I learned Lisp because of Emacs and it's a cool language, but almost
> no one cares to learn Lisp.
>
> I can't live without Emacs, but in some areas Emacs tend to be
> lacking.
>
> As I just noticed that Emacs 24 is now stable it still amazes me that
> there's still a lot of development going on, considering my sense of
> isolation as an Emacs user, and the impression that Emacs users is a
> dying breed.
>
> Since this is a help group, am I required to end with a question mark?
> :-)

All the people who matter do use emacs.

It's not so much that there are not a lot of emacs users, as that there
are a lot of computer users in general.   When you increase the number
of computer users up to the population of the planet, you cannot expect
emacs users to increase proportionnaly.   So yes, in a random
group of people, it's almost certain you will be the only emacs user.
But in absolute number there are a lot of emacs users, and enough to
feed its continuing develpment.