Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Jeremiah Dodds
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:27:04 -0400

S Boucher <stbya@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've been using emacs since as far back as 18.59.  Still use it daily.
>
> However, I often wonder where Emacs is heading.  Most places I work, I'm in
> the
> minority - and that's an understatement - as an Emacs user.
>
> I learned Lisp because of Emacs and it's a cool language, but almost no one
> cares to learn Lisp.
>
> I can't live without Emacs, but in some areas Emacs tend to be lacking.
>
> As I just noticed that Emacs 24 is now stable it still amazes me that there's
> still a lot of development going on, considering my sense of isolation as an
> Emacs user, and the impression that Emacs users is a dying breed.
>
> Since this is a help group, am I required to end with a question mark? :-)
>
> Regards,

I have never worked anywhere where anyone else used Emacs. I've also
never worked anywhere where people were not pretty impressed with the
level of efficiency I had while editing, particularly for things like JS
frameworks that don't have widespread editor support.

There are definitely things that could use improvement in Emacs, but so
far, for the type of stuff I do, it's *by far* the most versatile tool
in my toolbox.