RE: Emacs freezes every now and then on my windows 7 pc

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs freezes every now and then on my windows 7 pc
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:23:47 -0700

> I am on Windows XP and my Emacs version is the latest one
> made available by Christopher -
> emacs-20120723-r109189-bin-i386.zip.
>
> It crashes meaning *very randomly* but it does crash.
> Obviously I don't have a recipe to reproduce it.
>
> It has been so problematic that I switched to the stable version a few
> hours back.

I think several of us have been having the same or similar problems.  FWIW, I
have only been able to use the last release (24.1) for quite a while now.  Some
bugs, including crashes, get fixed, but new ones (including crashes) are
engendered.

Each week I hope for a new Windows build that works enough to check the fix for
some bug I filed for a previous build.  But in some cases I have not been able
to check fixes because of new bugs (including crashes).  And the Windows builds
are no longer done weekly, it seems, which aggravates this problem.

There seems to be a fair amount of volatility in the C code at this time.  Just
a guess, based on what I see going by in emacs-devel (without paying too much
attention) and what I see in the (Windows) builds I try to use.

This is, fortunately, not typical of Emacs development; it is presumably
temporary.  Let's hope things settle down soon.