Re: Handling large files with Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Handling large files with Emacs
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:09:20 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> > BTW, why is it obsolete? Does it mean it's unnecessary and the
> > size of the buffer should not be a problem?
>
> Yes.

My other tip is long lines cause problems. SQL dumps have usually
really long lines (the one below has lines with 1 million characters).

Here's as a testcase a dump from Wikipedia which is a 16MB download
and it extracts to a 64MB sql file:

http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20110901/enwiki-20110901-category.sql.gz

If I extract it, open it in emacs and try to scroll in the file here
and there then emacs freezes for a minute or longer.

Actually with the above file I had to kill emacs, because it did
not respond to anything after I did some random scrolling in the
file, jumping to the end and then scrolling backwards, etc.

I tried it with -Q (emacs 24.1.1 on Windows).