Re: File Encoding Issue on Windows

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: File Encoding Issue on Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 00:07:47 -0600

On  13 Mar, 2013, at 22:23, Tech Stuff wrote:

copy-paste worked lol. I feel like such an idiot. Thanks Axel! (and everyone else who participated in the thread)

Good. Just be careful with «Replace All». Say, if I replace all occurrences of `` with opening quotation marks (“), maybe everything will be fine; but if I then replace all '' with closing quotation marks (”), double primes will get replaced as well.

Also, Windows applications can really mess up your files. I would advise you against using programs such as Notepad (though I *really* don't use and don't know Windows, I have suffered a lot with files coming from Windows apps).

Set up Emacs to use UTF-8 and that's it. If you have to use any other app, try to use a reliable editor (for example, with (La)TeX files, TeXworks uses UTF-8 across platforms).

Best

Axel