Re: java develeopment

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: java develeopment
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:27:59 +0400

Rich Johns <ridge.hons@gmail.com> writes:

> It appears that the jdee (java development env) project has been abandoned
> for the most part. I am currently  running  with emacs 22 and jdee under
> ubuntu 10.04 LTS byt I need to move up to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have
> discovered that the jdee is not available.
>
> I am still hopeful that the jdee package will make a come back, but if it
> should not, I would very much like to hear how others are doing java
> development in emacs  23 and greater.  Note I want to avoid use of Eclipse
> or any other monolithic, heavy weight IDE. NO offense to those that love
> them -- I recognize their power and value, but one of the things I love
> about the jdee is that it is has a very light foot print. At any rate,
> please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.

I haven't been doing any Java for the last few years, so I'm not going
to help with setup and/or troubleshooting, but there are two main
options, AFAIK:

1. Work currently going on in the CEDET trunk. Not many IDE features,
mostly just code completion and jump to definition, both of them not
really perfect. See
http://alexott.blogspot.de/2012/10/new-version-of-article-about-emacscedet.html
and the linked article.

2. Use emacs-eclim. Yes, that means running Eclipse in the background
(with or without the GUI). See http://www.skybert.net/emacs/java/