actual html or something else? [was: Re: org-mode tutorial?]

From: ken
Subject: actual html or something else? [was: Re: org-mode tutorial?]
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 07:31:47 -0400

n 04/28/2013 03:58 AM Bastien wrote:
Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists? I basically mean
something like html's [ul] and [li] elements, nested.

Maybe we forgot to mention the "obvious": use M-<right> to nest a list
item, and M-<left> to "unnest" it.

I'm curious about org-mode also. This is the first I've heard that it can handle html. But does it handle actual html or does it need some other kind of code (as is found often in wikis) which represents html? I mean, does org-mode understand html text like this:

<head>
... a few dozen lines of <meta.../> and other stuff ...
</head>

<h1 ...>Major heading</h1>

<h2 ...>Sub-heading</h2>

<h2 ...>Another sub-heading</h2>

In a longer document of the sort above, I might want to manipulate it in a number of different ways:

- "collapse" the display of the document to display just the headings, just the 'h1' tags and text within them. Can org-mode do that?

- then "unhide"-- i.e., display-- selected sub-headings. Does org-mode do this?

- "unhide" (display) all 'h2'-tagged subheadings.

- "unhide" (display) all 'h3'-tagged subheadings.

- "unhide" (display) all subheadings: e.g., 'h1' through 'h7'. (I believe h7 is the highest of the 'h' tags for some reason.)

- selectively (in different ways) "unhide" paragraphs.

- select a particular subheading, say one chosen 'h3' tag, which by default includes all the text under it (until the next 'h3' tag, including zero or more 'h4' and higher tags), and then move that to another location within the document.

- similarly, select a particular paragraph and move it to another location within that document.

- or select a paragraph and copy it to another location in the document.

If org-mode can't do these things, is there some other mode which can?

A few years ago I played around with org-mode for a day or two, but couldn't figure out what it was doing... or how to do what I needed to do... and so then not either whether it would do what I needed. So I gave up on it. Since the topic came up again, I thought maybe someone here would know enough about it to address some of the basics.

tia,
ken