Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 07:34:39 +0200

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> The cool kids do it.
>
> You can find many screencasts of people doing everything in terminal
> and proselytising the simplicity and lack of distractions of such a
> work flow.  They don't mention the lack of features, and the
> pitfalls.
>
> As a result a lot of the newbie questions on stackoverflow and here
> are "Why dozn't M-return work with me Emacs?" and "How comez when I
> can't cut'n'paste from Emacs?".
>
> This is frustratingly detrimental to Emacs adoption because the new
> user's initial experience with Emacs is "fixing" it.

This has nothing to do with emacs, but all to do with lack of knowledge
of said newbies about how terminals and computers work.  Direct them to
the corresponding tutorials.

Or direct them to emacs in GUI (X11, Cocoa, MS-Windows).

Otherwise I wouldn't mind if somebody worked on the terminal protocol,
notably on the keyboard part. (ECMA-048 is rich enough, for terminal
output).

I heard there are some extensions implemented in xterm to forward the
status of more modifiers than just control.  Some standardization and
wide adoption amongst terminal emulators at least (are physical
terminals still produced?) should do the trick.