Re: OS X System Key Combinations

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: OS X System Key Combinations
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 23:41:15 +0200

Am 21.05.2013 um 23:18 schrieb tshanno@bearingthenews.com:

> http://emacsformacosx.com
>
> As far as I know the X server on my system is not running.  At least not of
> the type I've used for almost 20 years under Linux.  It doesn't say it
> explicitly on the website but it certainly looks like it is, indeed, the
> "AppKit Emacs".

No, it looks like the NS variant from the unpatched GNU Emacs 24.3.50 sources.
It will report on M-x emacs-version RET something like:

        GNU Emacs 24.3.50 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of
2013-05-20 on …
                                                    **

The "AppKit Emacs", with a history as Carbon Emacs, will report something like
this:

        GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0
AppKit 1038.36) of 2012-09-11 on …
                                                     ******

> I take it from your response that this should, indeed, be passing the key
> combinations through to the system using this version of Emacs and that there
> is something wrong with my installation.  Is that correct?

It should. But both Emacsen change the meaning of the alt, cmd, and maybe more
keys by default. With C-h k you can find out what alt-a and cmd-a are and you
can also look via Emacs -> Services from the  menu bar at the services your
Emacs sees. The modifier keys I mentioned have, presumingly, names like

        ns-alternate-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the alternate or option
           key.
        ns-command-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the command key.
        ns-control-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the control key.
        ns-function-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the function key (on
           laptops).
        ns-option-modifier
        ns-right-alternate-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the right alternate or
           option key.
        ns-right-command-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the right command key.
        ns-right-control-modifier
           This variable describes the behavior of the right control key.
        ns-right-option-modifier

Have you recorded your key combinations in System Preferences in a way that the
Emacs applications do have knowledge of them?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

The world would be a better place if Larry Wall had been born in Iceland, or
any other country where the native language actually has syntax.
                                – Peter da Silva