Re: Using punctuation in abbrev

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Using punctuation in abbrev
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 21:48:51 +0200

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:

>> Just curious: what Unicode chars do you regularly use?
>
> mainly arrows, ×, ≠, ≈, ...

Aha, so you are writing scientific stuff, or perhaps documentation
with flow charts etc.? Or is there actually some new super
programming language which take advantage of all that notation?
(That would be... scary and impressive, at the same time.)

>> Another thought: Pick a shortcut that is very "fast" (short,
>> and without you having to move your hand), like M-; or C-o (it
>> depends what is already wired into your hands, and what you
>> already do useful stuff with - don't change that - but there
>> are many shortcuts...).  Then, write a defun that waits for a
>> keystroke, then inserts the Unicode char depending on what was
>> hit, So, say, M-; l is right arrow, M-; j is left arrow, M-; i
>> is up arrow, etc.
>
> That's not a bad alternative. I think I'll do this.

I'm happy you think so. Whatever solution you come up with, be
sure to post it here so all can learn from it :)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573