Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:55:21 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Sunglasses in a dark room is overdoing it. Just a bit. :)

On the contrary, that's great. There is no such thing as
"overdoing" when solving a problem. If you solve a problem 100%
what does it hurt to solve it 120%?

But that's not even relevant because this is not overdoing. I
never solved a single problem in my life 100% - I reduced them,
built support around them, rolled with them ...

> Mouse is fine for "just reading"

I think the mouse is a killer. It is not productive, it is not
ergonomic. Perhaps some "wheel" on the keyboard for just reading,
so your arms are at least resting, if you want a more "analogue"
UX. Perhaps in as GIS application the mouse is motivated, but
actually even then, I doubt it.

> And, yeah, "dark" browser themes with light pieces sticking out
> are even more painful.

I'm way beyond themes. I setup everything face by face. That
wasn't possible in FF/Iceweasel, which was part of why I switched
to Emacs-w3m (but not the sole reason).

If you talk a look at the dump I posted, the *colors* are not
dark. (Without sunglasses, I would make everything dark.)

Check out this HP I put together on colors I while back. I don't
use X anymore, but I thought it would be a waste of effort not to
publish the work I put into it. There are lots of Emacs stuff, and
screenshots, to.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/cols/www/index.html

> IME, the main point is to keep contrast level more or less
> unchanging. Eyes adapt to the lighting level relatively easily.

In a brightly lit room, with monitors (not projectors), with -
well, basically everything I described earlier, that I didn't like
- I'd go *blind*.

> Lowering the monitor brightness level a bit never hurts, though.

I tried that, but I never got a solid conclusion - sometimes, not
*seeing* made for a problem just as big - I dropped monitors
altogether, I'm exclusively using the projectors at my school. I
don't watch TV (never), but sometimes I got to the cinema, with
less strain. I suppose it is the same principle - distance,
relaxation, those things I mentioned...

> Ah, ok. But overall, your whole workflow description likely
> means that you have a *lower* pain threshold than Eli, which was
> his point.

*Lower* what? (What does that mean?) As for pain management, I
have practitioned boxing and Muay Thai (kickboxing), and I have
been productive with computers while at the same time experiencing
severe hand and eye pain. I don't know what more there is to
it. Reality.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573