Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:29:16 +0400

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>> I take it you've been using dark terminals, themes, etc, while switching
>> to applications with different levels of contrast and back, for quite a
>> few years now. Right?
>
> Yep, long, long time.
>
>> How are your eyes these days? No glasses?
>
> You're kidding right?  Everyone needs glasses at my age.
> I wear 1.25/1.25 for reading and looking at the screen only,
> otherwise my vision is perfect.

I know I'm being unreasonable, but if you didn't need glasses, it
would've been a strong argument against. As it is, though, I can't make
a good guess whether you vision is worse or better than if you made an
effort to keep levels of contrast constant.

The fact that you didn't notice your eyes being tired doesn't mean they
weren't. Maybe it was accompanied by a headache, and the latter was more
pronounced. Or maybe you kept a healthy lifestyle, took necessary pauses
every X minutes and limited work with computers to 6-8 hours a day.

Most days, I'm behind monitor 12+ hours, and so I've found I have to pay
attention to posture, wrist placement, neck and the eyes. And exercise,
of course.