Re: Changing the language of gnus menu entries

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Changing the language of gnus menu entries
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 15:30:11 +0200

> >> Handling most of the menus shouldn't be hard, for example.
> > I think infrastructure for translating the doc strings and the text
> > shown by 'message' is a much more important step forward.  Menus, by
> > contrast, are an extremely small part of Emacs.
>
> I don't really have a strong preference for what should be done first.
> Messages, doc strings, menus, tooltips, and mode-line elements are all
> reasonable and not too hard (at least for a first cut that can cover
> more than 90% of the ground).

I don't have a good feeling about that.  It's already lots of work to
keep the English docstrings up to date.  And if some volunteers leave,
people are left with outdated docstrings in their language they count
on.

I'm not against localizing menus, but docstrings?  Most of programmers
will understand English, and binding so much work, constantly, for very
few users?  IMHO we should spend our time with other important tasks to
improve user experience.

Regards,

Michael.