Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:08:09 +0200

Eric Brown <eric.c.brown@mac.com> writes:

> Usually I run Emacs in X over ssh, but when the
> latency is high, I fire it up in text mode.  The
> cursor may jump a little bit, but it is usable.
>
> I run on Mac, Windows, Linuxes, and OpenBSD--pretty
> much the same configuration files.
>
> For me, Emacs is simply the best in perfect situations
> of fast network and fast computer.  It leaves the
> others in the dirt when it comes to imperfect
> situations -- slow network, slow computer, and
> heterogeneous environments.

That's interesting. Why do you use all those systems? I
was "like that" when I always got computers from
everyone I knew, when I "found" them, etc. Then I was
under the incorrect impression that installing a Linux
distro was difficult or at least tedious. Now I do it
first thing, if you have a comic book or newspaper next
to you it is fine. Just like you, I try to keep portable
config files (not just for Emacs), which works "in
theory" :) No, that works to 85-95%, really. I also do
lots of stuff with ssh (but without X). First, I did
everything local and then scp the files, now I run Emacs
on the remote Solaris/SunOS with 99% identical
experience.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573