Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:13:33 +0100

> The OP has settled for "suits".
>
> I think "Halloween" would be a good word.  Not only
> that it is funny, it is also scary and also
> functional (During you assume a different personality
> via masks and dresses etc.)

Right. Suit, like in a deck of cards, or the different
outfits on the Starship Enterprise bridge (not
considering that none of those looks either good or
functional: no pockets, no hood etc. so not very warm
either).

Halloween is perhaps better because it is more
"visible". We don't need to be so conservative. But if
the matter is settled "suit" is not a bad choice.

> A good way to think would be to "segment" the users.

A combination of looks and behaviour.

> 2. Gnus only folks (Difficult to find these)
>
>    - Give them an init file with Gmail (and other
> popular servers) pre-configured and say put your
> username here and password there.

As in, using Gnus as an interface to Gmail?
("Interface" as in interface *and* extended toolbox.)
Never thought of that but why not? I use Gnus that way
to my mail service provider. Just that, when you say
"Gmail" you don't think of it as a mail transport
service, you think of the web GUI. (At least I do.)

>    - A configuration that enables news.gmane.org and
> subscribes to *all* the emacs related groups.

How many are there? I know of

comp.emacs (never any traffic)
gnu.emacs.gnus (sparse)
gnu.emacs.help (this group - 5-15 messages a day?)
gnu.emacs.sources (sparse but very ambitious releases)

> 3. Programming modes
>    - Lisp
>    - C
>    - Perl
>    - C++

You wish! More likely: Java, PHP, Ruby, C#... *sob*

It is an uphill battle indeed!

?

> 8. Org-mode
>    - Text markup users
>    - Babel/Literate Programming users
>    - GTD nuts
>
> 9. Tex + Bibtex users

Perhaps those goes with "prose"? I always said, if
writers learned how to do LaTeX the whole publishing
industry would disembark.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573