RE: select text without moving the point in graphical interface

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: select text without moving the point in graphical interface
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 14:13:43 -0800 (PST)

> Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant selecting text using the mouse.
>
> In a terminal, the mouse is independent from emacs and it doesn't interfere
> with it in any perceivable way, except when I paste something with a middle
> click.  I think it's the terminal program, and not emacs, who handles the
> mouse inputs.

Yes.  The relevant doc is (emacs) `Text-Only Mouse', which explains
that only some text terminals support mouse clicks.

> In a GUI, it doesn't work the same way - as soon as I click anywhere the
> point moves to that location.  I was wondering if tweaking some options I
> could make GUI emacs behave more or less like when it runs inside a
> terminal.  For example, to be able to select text (using the X cursor)
> without moving emacs's point in the process.

Mouse selection in GUI Emacs is specifically for setting the region
to the selected text.  So no, to have `mouse-1' not set point you
would need to redefine a fair number of things.  In terminal mode,
Emacs does not even recognize the mouse, in the sense that if you do
`C-h k' and then click or drag the mouse, that action is unrecognized.