Re: Using VC

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Using VC
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 19:38:42 -0700

Rustom Mody wrote:
> The VC command C-x v v claims to cycle through the appropriate actions
>
> However I find it does neither
> - push to remote

That would be a misfeature if it did it.  The key phrase is
"appropriate".  A 'git push' is quite different from a 'git commit'.
A local commit is appropriate but pushing to a remote is not.

A typical git workflow includes local commits but publishing your
content by pushing it up to a remote should only be done after more
consideration.  Because a typical git workflow usually includes many
changes in a changeset and often we rebase and cherrypick in our local
repository to prepare it properly for publishing it.  Check that a
program still builds and runs the test suite.  Only then should you
publish.  Basically shaping it like a sculpture into a good changeset
and then intentionally publishing the changeset.

> - save file

This works for me.  If I haven't saved the file then emacs vc mode
prompts me with:

  Buffer foo modified; save it? (y or n)

If you respond y then it saves the buffer before committing it.  It
does this *after* collecting the commit message.  Go ahead and test it
by typing in a commit message and finishing it with C-c C-c and if by
then you haven't saved the buffer then it will prompt you.  It is late
in the process but all of the way up to that point you may be editing
and changing the file.  The commit doesn't happen until that point.

> Am I missing something
> [Backend git]

Works for me.

Bob