Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 21:11:17 +0000 (UTC)

Andrey Tykhonov <atykhonov <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > - There could be a message when the question is retrieved, so the
> > user sees something is happening. Minor issue.
>
> Fixed (I hope a message is good enough: "Answer retrieved!")

I meant a message during the retrieval ("Retrieving answer..."),
because sometimes a few seconds elapses while the answer is retrieved
and the user has no feedback then.

> Great! I dreamed about such ability! Ability from emacs to make a query
> with auto-completion to the google. I tried helm but didn't discover it
> enough to find it useful for me.
>
> It would very good for me also to have ability to make howdoi queries with
> suggestions! I took a look at source code but didn't find nice solution
> yet. Please share your code snippet.

I simply I copied the google suggest source and changed the action to
howdoi:

(setq helm-howdoi
  '((name . "howdoi google")
    (candidates . (lambda ()
                    (funcall helm-google-suggest-default-function)))
    (action . (("howdoi" . howdoi-query)))
    (volatile)
    (requires-pattern . 3)
    (delayed)))

and then you can call howdoi via helm like this:

(helm :sources 'helm-howdoi)