Re: How to set up Emacs as a mail client (with mail saved/filed on an IM

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to set up Emacs as a mail client (with mail saved/filed on an IMAP server)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:43:01 +0100

Hi!

,----[ C-h v gnus-fetch-old-headers RET ]
| gnus-fetch-old-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
| Its value is some
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means that Gnus will try to build threads by grabbing old headers.
| If an unread article in the group refers to an older, already
| read (or just marked as read) article, the old article will not
| normally be displayed in the Summary buffer.  If this variable is
| t, Gnus will attempt to grab the headers to the old articles, and
| thereby build complete threads.  If it has the value `some', all
| old headers will be fetched but only enough headers to connect
| otherwise loose threads will be displayed.  This variable can
| also be a number.  In that case, no more than that number of old
| headers will be fetched.  If it has the value `invisible', all
| old headers will be fetched, but none will be displayed.
|
| The server has to support NOV for any of this to work.
|
| This feature can seriously impact performance it ignores all
| locally cached header entries.  Setting it to t for groups for a
| server that doesn't expire articles (such as news.gmane.org),
| leads to very slow summary generation.
`----

You can also enter the summary buffer using `C-u <number> RET' instead
of just `RET'.  That will show you the latest <number> of articles in
the group, no matter if new or read.

> 2. Gnus again: As far as I've been able to ascertain (and of course I
> might be mistaken), Gnus does not support IMAP.

Of course Gnus does IMAP.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Using IMAP") ]
`----

> To be sure it will download mail from an IMAP server (I have that set
> up already), but that is not my use case.

Seems you are using `mail-sources' instead of nnimap.

> I want it to allow me to read the mail in my IMAP inboxes, delete it
> on the rare occasions that I want to do that, or file it in other
> folders on the IMAP server. Did I miss something, or am I correct in
> thinking Gnus lacks the ability to interact with an IMAP server in
> that way?

Yes, you are wrong.  Check its manual (info "(gnus)Using IMAP").

Bye,
Tassilo