Re: Problems with KDE and Clipboard.

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Problems with KDE and Clipboard.
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 04:55:21 +0100

Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:

> My solution (for gnome, anyway) is parcellite.
>
> This app just says, "Whatever I put in any one of the
> many Linux and emacs clipboards ... copy it to all
> the other ones."

If it works on the X terminals as well (the "readline"
stuff, for example urxvt-readline(1) for urxvt) that'd
be something.

But I don't feel like testing it because aptitude tells
me it will break xpdf (of all programs - on Debian
Lenny), and I spent some time configuring that.

But like I said, if they pulled that off, that'd be
impressive to say the least.

> This doesn't track down the cause, nor does it fix
> it, but it makes cut and paste work.

Which is what matters.

But, I think one should avoid copy/paste (and even
kill/yank) apart from the quick fix, or the exception
to the rule - when sending messages and quoting code,
man page paragraphs, and so on.

It doesn't make sense to have the same information in
multiple spots unless that is part of some automatized
scheme (backup, RAID, redundant DB/server/distributed
systems, caches and memory hierarchies, etc.). When it
is the result of one person killing and yanking
when-/wherever [s]he sees fit, that will just lead to
errors and "consistency stress".

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573